Aceves, Marte likely lost for season

Aceves, Marte likely lost for season

NEW YORK -- The Yankees no longer expect to have pitchers Alfredo Aceves and Damaso Marte return from the disabled list this season.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that Aceves was scheduled to be seen on Wednesday by a specialist to evaluate the right-hander's strained lower back, which has kept him out of action at the big league level since May.

Marte has been out since July with inflammation and soreness in his left shoulder, and though he continues strengthening exercises, the left-hander has not been able to resume throwing.

"We will not get Aceves back this year," said Girardi, who then added, "Marte, my thought is we probably won't get him back."

Girardi said that Aceves had more physical problems after a recent rehab outing for Double-A Trenton, and that surgery is possible.

"I think any time you're at the point where he's at, it's an option you're going to look at," Girardi said.

Marte is holding out hope that he can return to action in the postseason, but since he is still unable to throw at this point in time, it seems unlikely.

"I don't feel good with my shoulder," Marte said. "I tried to work it hard to help the team win in the playoffs. But I don't feel good. ... It's very difficult. I don't know what I have in my shoulder. I feel sore."

The Yankees' bullpen has been a strength, combining for a 1.54 ERA with 104 strikeouts and a .186 opponents' batting average since July 26. Still, there could have been room for both pitchers, had they returned.

"We would love to have them both back, because we saw how important they were to our bullpen last year," Girardi said. "Fortunately, we've had some guys that have done a great job and picked up the slack in their absence, but I don't think you can ever have too many arms."