NEW YORK -- Yankees third baseman Eric Chavez took another ImPACT test on Thursday and hopes to soon be cleared by Major League Baseball to come off the seven-day concussion disabled list.
Chavez had been expected to be activated on Thursday, the first day he would have been eligible, but MLB had concerns about one portion of his test. Chavez said that he felt much more confident in his results on the second try.
"We're just waiting for him to be cleared by Major League Baseball," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "He has not been cleared yet; I don't know how long it takes. As soon as he's cleared, we'll probably put him in there."
Chavez suffered a concussion and whiplash while diving for a J.J. Hardy double down the third-base line on May 2 against the Orioles at Yankee Stadium. Chavez did not travel with the club to Kansas City, instead remaining in New York to rest as the club purchased the contract of infielder Jayson Nix from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.