Pettitte leaves door open for return in 2013

Pettitte leaves door open for return in 2013

Pettitte leaves door open for return in 2013
CHICAGO -- A one-hop ground ball fractured Andy Pettitte's left fibula and interrupted his storybook return to the Yankees, and the left-hander doesn't want to rule out the suggestion that he could try it all again in 2013.

"It seemed like things don't work out like you envision them in life," Pettitte said. "I figured coming in here, I'd pitch this year and fully exhaust myself of whatever I had left in me, as far as for baseball or whatever. And as of this moment right now, I want to pitch more right now than I did when I first came to the big leagues."

Pettitte said that he is "extremely happy" with his decision to come out of retirement, despite the injury that has kept him sidelined since June 27, and he figures to have another very familiar discussion back home in Deer Park, Texas, after the season.

"I mean, I'll go home again and talk to my family about it and pray about it," Pettitte said. "Really, I'll do what I feel like is the right thing to do. I really can't tell you right now that there's no way I'm going to play."

Yet next season still seems too far off for Pettitte, who is itching to contribute to the 2012 Yankees. Pettitte is currently throwing on flat ground, and while doctors are recommending that he proceeds conservatively after his ankle swelled following workouts last month in Seattle, the Yankees expect him to return in September.

"[The goal of] coming back here was to try to help us win another championship, and I still have an opportunity to do that," Pettitte said. "The light at the end of the tunnel for me with all this is to try to get healthy, get back, get myself prepared so I can help us get to the postseason."