KANSAS CITY -- The Yankees have retroactively placed infielder Eduardo Nunez on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique, with hopes that he will be able to rejoin the club when eligible on May 20.
Nunez has not been able to play since feeling discomfort in his rib cage during a May 5 game against the Athletics. New York selected the contract of infielder Alberto Gonzalez from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to replace Nunez on the active roster.
"It just wasn't where we wanted it, and we felt like we couldn't go any longer," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
Gonzalez, 30, is in his second tour of duty with the Yankees. A career .241 hitter, Gonzalez played in 40 games with the club from 2007-08 after being acquired from the D-backs in the Randy Johnson trade and has also seen big league time with the Nationals, Padres, Rangers and Cubs.
The Yankees acquired Gonzalez from the Cubs last week in exchange for a player to be named or cash considerations. In order to make room for Gonzalez on the 40-man roster, first baseman Mark Teixeira was transferred to the 60-day disabled list.
"It's nice, especially because he's a true shortstop," Girardi said. "It gives you a lot of options of what you can do with the other people around him. He's also able to play second, he's able to play third, so it's really nice."