HOUSTON -- The financial gap between Robinson Cano and the Yankees may be significant, but the second baseman said that he is not ready to begin discussing what will be one of the hottest topics of the offseason.
Cano declined to discuss an ESPN.com report published on Thursday that stated, citing sources, that Cano is seeking a contract that could be as large as 10 years and $305 million.
"I know a lot of things are going to come out and say, 'A source, friends of Robbie's and this,' but I know what we're doing and what we're not doing," Cano said on Friday. "I just want to go on vacation, sit down and enjoy, not be watching the news and everything. Then you're going to go crazy."
Earlier this year, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that the club had already made Cano a "significant" contract offer. Because of the wide gap between Cano and the Yankees, both sides agreed to put off negotiations until the offseason.
Cano acknowledged this week that he has considered the possibility that he is playing his last games in a Yankees uniform. He also said that he does not want that to take away from the farewell tours for Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte.
"I will be the first one when things happen or we're doing something, I'll say it," Cano said. "Right now, I just want to enjoy the next two or three days. These last three days with Mo, the last thing I want is to be a distraction for the team."