NEW YORK -- Scott Sizemore returned for his second stint with the big league club on Tuesday, as the infielder was recalled from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
Sizemore, 29, was immediately placed in the lineup against Athletics starter Scott Kazmir, batting seventh and playing third base. The right-handed batter was hitting .265 with one home run and 16 RBIs in 40 games at Triple-A.
"I'm glad to get in there, and hopefully I can help the team out," Sizemore said.
Sizemore went 1-for-3 in the Yankees' 5-2 loss to the A's in 10 innings Tuesday, and he made a splendid play in the field to end the top of the ninth inning.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that the team made the move to call up Sizemore because the Yanks will be facing some left-handed starters in their upcoming schedule, starting in the Oakland series with Kazmir on Tuesday and Drew Pomeranz on Thursday.
Sizemore attended Spring Training with the Yankees as a non-roster invitee, hoping to get back to the Majors after sustaining two devastating knee injuries. Sizemore said that his promotion to the Majors suggests that he made a good decision to sign with New York.
"Absolutely. I think any time you get the chance to be in the big leagues, you can't ask for much more," Sizemore said. "Obviously you could hope for more playing time, but I think if you do what you're supposed to do and maybe open some eyes and make them have to keep you there, that's the ultimate goal as a guy in my situation.
"So far, so good. It seems like a smart move, getting a couple of chances earlier in the year."
Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @bryanhoch and read his MLBlog, Bombers Beat. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.